On California’s famous Highway 1, halfway between Los Angeles and San Francisco, lies a town nestled between rolling hills and the coast – San Luis Obispo. Basking in a perfect Mediterranean climate year-round, San Luis Obispo, commonly known as SLO, has a charming downtown full of unique boutiques and restaurants in addition to a beautifully preserved Spanish Mission at the heart of the city. Neighborhoods teem with classic California bungalows and gently rolling vineyards give way to the famous wine region just south of town. With its laid-back, relaxed lifestyle, no one is in a hurry, and certainly no one is in any rush to leave.
Set 200 miles north of Los Angeles and 220 miles south of San Francisco, San Luis Obispo is at the heart of California’s magnificent Central Coast. Sitting just a few miles from the Pacific Ocean, this city is sheltered by volcanic peaks and is surrounded by protected open spaces, vineyards, agricultural and ranch land.
A perfect Mediterranean marine climate keeps San Luis Obispo sunny and warm during the day with an average of 70°F.
San Luis Obispo County is home to 258, 000 people and 45, 000 residents live within the city. SLO consistently ranks at the top of nationwide quality-of-life surveys and best places to live lists.
- Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa, the fifth of California’s 21 Spanish missions, was founded in 1772.
- Downtown SLO is a humming, pedestrian-friendly zone of shops, restaurants and galleries in turn-of-the-20th century buildings.
- Thursday Night Farmers’ Market brings the lively community together with fresh produce, crafts, barbecue, street food and live entertainment to Downtown San Luis Obispo.
- San Luis Obispo Wine Country lies 15 minutes south of Downtown, putting thirty premier wineries within easy reach.
- Hearst Castle, William Randolph Hearst’s elaborate Central Coast summer home, stands in solitary splendor 45 minutes north.
Hikers, mountain-bikers, cyclists and equestrians have access to an abundance of trails maintained in the city’s parks, canyons and mountains all over the city. At the beach, surfing, kayaking, whale watching and boogie-boarding are favorites. For pure relaxation, spas have tapped the area’s mineral-rich natural hot springs.